An Economic Powerhouse That Keeps Growing
They’re Affluents. And although they represent just 20% of U.S. households, they account for 70% of total consumer net worth.
While they have a reputation for flaunting their wealth, many are actually quite sensible with their spending. The vast majority of affluents do not regard themselves as rich, and don't spend as if they are. They are not bashful about using coupons, buying store brands, and going online to do pre-purchase research. One of the reasons affluents go online, in fact, is to find bargains.
Digital technology is one category where affluents have not stinted on expenditures. In the last year, affluents spent $17.9 billion on computers, netbooks, tablets, and smartphones. They are also consuming traditional media through these newer devices. While 86% of affluents still read a newspaper, they are also consuming newspaper content through desktop computers (39%), smartphones (14%), and tablets (7%).
Des Moines Register Media reaches more than
86,887 local affluents.
That’s 75% of local affluents (adults with a household income of $100,000 or more) an average of 4.6 times each week.
Local affluents are more likely to:
• Use the internet for investing & stock trading
• Attend the Principal Charity Classic
• Enjoy powerboating and live theatre
• Belong to a health club or gym
- 49% used a newspaper pre-print to plan shopping in the past week
- 54% shop online
- 45% own a smartphone, and 45% of those smartphone owners have an iPhone
- Affluents spend 26.2 hours per week online vs. the general population at 21.7 hours
- Affluents spend less time watching TV than the general population at 17.6 hour per week vs. 34 hours
- 68% use social networking sites
- 55% have downloaded apps
- 54% of affluents subscribe to a daily deal site, more than double of households with income of $35K or less
- 73% have redeemed digital coupons
- 67% plan to take a vacation or trip within the U.S. in the next year
- Spend an average of $5,868 on groceries annually
- Spend an average of $5,293 on eating out annually
- Spend an average of $3,396 on household furnishings annually
- Spend an average of $3,750 on apparel annually
- Spend an average of $929 on alcohol annually